Sunday, July 18, 2010

Weekend Excursion

Justin had planned a little overnight getaway to Can Gio (pron. Gung Yuh) at a resort by the ocean so off we went. We took the #20 bus, which picked up random passengers as we crept along through the streets. From there we took a ferry boat across the Saigon River. Next, as per directions, we hopped on the only bus there. This was a screamin’ fast bus that raced through the jungles… it was beautiful. Last, both Justin and I hopped on a motor taxi- three adults to one motorbike is a bit rickety, but it all worked out.
We arrived at the cute little resort with a most excellent swimming pool. However, we forgot one minor item- our passports. It’s illegal to let foreigners stay at a hotel in Vietnam without photo identification. Justin luckily had his Utah drivers license on him, but I had nada. After loads of negotiating that got us nowhere, Justin thought maybe he had a copy of my passport in his email. He did not. But we did find a government document regarding our visas in his email-we copied and pasted that into word… next we googled old Miss Murray pics of me (don’t even think about it!!)- we copied and pasted that into word… last we copied and pasted a copy of Justin’s passport into the document and then cropped it so we just had a pic of him in the document. We printed the documents and hazzah we were in (just some minor forgery
Justin enjoyed a dinner of squid-something-or-other and I had a fruit plate then we took a swim in their amazing pool. Today we were off to Monkey Island. Let me just say that I’m with everyone else in thinking “monkeys are so cute”. However, monkeys also creep me out… ever since Nepal, when one grabbed my juice box and his gangsta friend grabbed my purse to steal my candy! And you know what? I had every reason to think these monkeys were creepy trouble. I was told to keep my possessions very close. So I tucked my camera under my shirt and put my sack of ponchos around my wrist and clung them to me. But the second I got over the bridge- WHAM! This big old behemoth of a monkey comes out of nowhere and rips the sack right off my wrist. When he found I had no treats he left the bag under the bridge- the no-good dirty punk!By now I was very leery of this adventure. We made our way through some crocodile pits- that was the tamest part of Monkey Island. On our way out of the pits there were two monkeys staring me down- giving me the evil eye. A bunch of Vietnamese people gathered at the end of the walkway watching me and those dang monkeys. I tried hissing at them- mmm, for the future I wouldn’t recommend that. Finally I just decided to do heaps of crazy kungfu to scare them away. I saved myself and my cute husband from the rabid beasts. I’ve included some pics so you can see for yourself just how terrifying these things can be! The time had come for us to head back to the city. The way back was pretty much the same as coming except for one thing… we got on a random bus. The music reminded me of deep south country music- only in Vietnamese and the bus was moving at a pace that I could have easily jogged. It was such good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment